Monday, September 13, 2010

Chapter 2

   In chapter 2, learning about the origins of the internet was pretty fun for me. Of course being a typical teenager I am almost always on the internet for something. Looking at page 49  it was interesting to see that some of the basic ideas put out in mosaic, "the first window based browser", are still used a lot today. Such as the back, forward, home and bookmark buttons. Every internet browser I have com across, Internet Explorer, Firefox, google chrome, all have those buttons still today. Web 1.0 as it has come to be called seems to of set the stage for internet as we know it today. It also established web browsing and e-mail. I remember getting my first e-mail account, it was an AOL account and I was so happy. Even though the only "friends" I had were my family members I would still go on constantly to see what I could do with my limited AOL kids account. Turns out it wasn't very much, but I didn't care I was on the Net. With regards to web 2.0, it is the main reason that we as college kids are writing blogs to help us learn, instead of the old fashioned writing essays and whatnot. It is has basically taken over the life's of almost everyone I know. All I ever hear anymore is about people on facebook, blogging, and even playing video games online. Not just on the computer but also the convergence of video game systems going on the internet. And why wouldn't they? It's a whole new gaming experience for gamers. There are even games out there that only have online features. For games like Call of Duty, and Madden it offers  gamers more bang for their buck. Instead of just playing the game for a week, beating the campaign and being done with it, now you can go online and play again and again with a new experience every time. Web 3.0 blows my mind. I can't even think of a way for the internet to get better than it already is, but you never say never.
    I remember from my senior, between naps, in economics hearing about Microsoft's near-monopolistic ways in the 1990's. Microsoft started "integrating its Windows software with its Internet Explorer Web browser" (pg 55 under "Dividing up the Web) which made their web browser the most used by consumers, basically setting up a monopoly in the process. Now was it a monopoly? My 12th grade economics teacher said so, and he kind of scared me so I'm going to go with it was. Also Microsoft was hit with some serious fines and told to share "interoperability information with other software makers" (pg 56). I also recognized how much AOL has dwindled over the past decade. When my family switched from AOL to high speed internet it was awesome. No more having to wait for the page to load up, no more blocking the phone line, and especially no more of that awful noise the computer made whenever you wanted to go online. It did surprise me though that AOL still has the 4th largest amount of monthly visitors to their sites (chart on top of pg 56). Google's numbers did not surprise me at all. I just wonder how long it will take for somebody to challenge google in some way. It seems like google is growing more and more everyday. My phone even runs on a google based network. What's next? Banking? I'm of course being sarcastic but you get my point.
   When I came across the section on internet security I started to think about what the government does and doesn't track. On page 60 under the government suveillance section it states the "USA PATRIOT Act...grants sweeping powers...to intercept individuals' online communications...intended to allow the government to more easily uncover and track potential terrorists and terrorist organizations". I mean they could be tracking anything and anybody. Is that right? I think so. I think that whatever they need to do to keep us all safe they should be able to do. There is always the question of what is appropriate for being online. I do agree that some things online are inappropriate for some or even most audiences. It seems to be getting a little ridiculous how easily inappropriate material can be accessed. For example, I know that both my brother and I have slipped up when trying to get to the Dick's Sporting Goods website and typed in dicks.com not even thinking about it. Now the only thing that shows up is an authorization page that asks you if you are of age, but still it seems just a little too easy. It's pretty scary when on the internet you can find such things as "bomb building instructions" (bottom of pg 62). It made me think that it would be better if some parts of the internet were government regulated or even just watched over by the government. However, one could argue the other way about where does it end? How much will the government take away? How much will be deemed inappropriate?

1 comment:

  1. Some people say WWIII could be between Microsoft and Google. Great points and thoughtful insights. 10 points.

    ReplyDelete